Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sushi Harbor

            In the words of Auguste Escoffier, “good food is the basis of true happiness”. I believe fantastic service can turn your food from good, to great. If good food is the basis of true happiness than fantastic service is the basis of pure elation. My first experience with sushi did not go as well as I hoped it would. Although the sushi tasted great, the combination of tender textures and my mind getting the better of me didn’t go over very well, and I thought I would never be able to enjoy sushi. It wasn’t until I worked at a sushi restaurant in Chicago called Koi that I was able to overcome my mind.
Part of my training was to taste the food on the menu; I would have been terribly embarrassed to try my training food only to become sick. My trainer at Koi managed to get me past my fear and try a taste of tako (octopus), much to my surprise I absolutely loved it and so my love for sushi began. My new found adoration for sushi traveled with me from Chicago to Washington, Hawaii to Florida, and everywhere in-between. My palate for sushi took flight along with my life and I explored this new cuisine with curiosity and passion. Coincidentally, it was during this point in my life that I began to recognize a true sense of happiness in my life.
Anyone who has ever lived near the coast and an endless supply of fresh seafood may experience trepidation when considering eating sushi here in Denver. My father John and I walked into Sushi Harbor at 6pm on a Thursday. We were seated in a booth and given our menus. The interior was very feng shui and typical of the many sushi establishments I have dined in. Sushi Harbor is moderately sized and can seat around eighty people between booths, tables, the sushi bar and the bar. Sushi Harbor has buy one, get one hot sake and beer all day, every day so we ordered a large hot sake ($6.95) and a large Kirin Ichiban ($5.95) to start. Our server Tom told us about the specials and pointed out the different areas on the menu. We ordered miso soup ($2), tamago sushi ($3.95), Hamachi sushi ($5), a Fire Cracker Roll ($13.25), an Osaka Roll ($13.50), and their Crunch Spicy Yellowtail Roll ($6.50).
The sushi was two pieces per order and the rolls were eight pieces each. The miso soup came out right away and had perfectly balanced salty and umami flavors; it was then followed by a small house salad, compliments of Sushi Harbor! The salad was just iceberg lettuce and a house-made peanut dressing, although it was simple and very basic, the flavor was complex and intricate. Next came our sushi and we got our free round of sake and beer, this time switching to Sapporo rather than Kirin just to switch it up a little. The plate was nicely arranged as is customary with sushi restaurants. My dad always judges a place based on how their Hamachi tastes and Sushi Harbor’s Hamachi was perfect. It had a delicate flavor and practically melted in your mouth.
Tom continually checked in with us to see how we were enjoying our meal and asked us our names. It was from this point on that Tom addressed us by name when he spoke to us. My tamago was exactly what I was looking for, a nice sweet cooked egg with perfect texture. After we finished our sushi we began to try the rolls. I started with the Crunch Spicy Yellowtail and moved to the Osaka Roll then the Fire Cracker Roll. The Crunch Spicy Yellowtail quickly became my favorite as the delicate buttery flavor of the crunch paired perfectly with the delicious spicy yellowtail. Tom stopped by yet again and we ordered another round of sake and beer.
The Osaka Roll was my second favorite with spicy yellowtail, cucumber and jalapeno rolled and topped with super white tuna, cilantro and syracha. The cilantro was a very nice addition to this roll. The firecracker roll was jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese, shrimp, and spicy tuna then deep fried and topped with Ponzu sauce. The Ponzu was absolutely delectable and the roll had a great combination of flavors, but could have been lighter on the cream cheese as it overwhelmed the other flavors. We took a short break and decided to order another roll and more sake and beer. Tom offered the next round of beer on the house much to our delight! We ordered the Rock-N-Roll which was shrimp tempura, spicy tuna, crunch, mango, avocado, masago, and cucumber wrapped in soy paper topped with eel sauce. It was very refreshing and the perfect end to our fantastic meal. All in all Sushi Harbor was great.

The quality of the food was more than I hoped for, the service was beyond outstanding, and the price was right, leaving me in such a state of elation I could have been walking in the clouds. Here at Sushi Harbor I found true happiness and I cannot wait to return and try other items on the menu while I thoroughly enjoy buy one, get one free, sake and beer! I give Sushi Harbor 3 out of 4 stars.




Sushi Harbor
4136 E. 8th Ave
303-333-6888
Cash and all major credit cards accepted
Sun-Thur: 11am-10pm
Fri-Sat: 11am-10:30pm
Parking lot and street parking
Reservations accepted

No comments:

Post a Comment